Saturday, March 30, 2019

High School Visual Arts PTA Sponsored Academic Visitors in Residence Program 2018/19


Throughout the school year Singapore American School had the pleasure to host a number of visiting artists within the high school visual art suite. Over one hundred students from digital photography, advanced digital photography, photography service club, and the islander yearbook had the special opportunity to learn from these professionals to gain authentic photography experiences.

SGPassionate Images instructors Lawrence Ang and Larry Haydn provided the high school service photo club, islander yearbook students, the digital and advanced digital photography classes workshops in sports photography, macro photography, and special lighting effects throughout the first and second semester of the school year. 


Lawrence Ang supporting a student during one of the macro workshops
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Larry Haydn providing lighting support to a student
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor


Macro photography workshop

Here are a few excerpts from student blog posts from the conclusion of the workshops:

Alexus Buechel
This Image was of a red scrubby brush. I love how cool the bristles look up close.
This image was of a sponge up really close. I thought that the color and sponge texture was really fun.

What aspect of taking Macro shots did you find to be the most challenging or difficult?
For me, the most challenging aspect of taking macro shots was getting the photo to focus. I had a really hard time getting the objects into the place where they were clear in the image. It took a lot of time and so many shots to get pictures that weren't completely blurred out. This problem started to go away as I became more acquainted with using the new lens. The more photos I took the better the clarity got. Yay!
What aspect of taking Macro shots did you find to be the most enjoyable or fulfilling?
The most enjoyable aspect was seeing the different textures and small bits of color in the things I took pictures of that you can't really see with the naked eye. The sponge, for example, had awesome bits of color on the surface, and the surface of the sponge looked totally different and cool up close.

Archit Srivastava





What aspect of taking Macro shots did you find to be the most enjoyable or fulfilling?

On the second day of this workshop, we got to use large macro lenses. In using these lenses we were getting a picture that shows more texture in the image; it also helps focus on the subject by blurring the background - kind of like having a larger aperture (like f4) but instead, you put the aperture on a setting like f12 and let the lens do the work. I also worked on lighting and trying out different angles of light.
Peer feedback from Keya Agrawal:
I think you did a really good job capturing photos bigger than life size for macro photography. I love the third photo of day 2 because of how it fills the frame completely. I also really liked how sharp and clear your images were, and that you had no camera shake. I also think you did a good job eliminating possible faults when it comes to taking macro photos. One suggestion I have is to try the stacking technique for photos like the last two ones for day 2. With this, you can ensure that everything is in focus and that you have greater detail. Overall, I think you did a really good job capturing macro photography as a whole and I love your photos!


Special lighting effects workshop

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Here are a few excerpts from student blog posts from the conclusion of the workshops:

Ashwin Gopalan
"In this picture, I used the glass ball to distort the building in the background, and I think it added a really interesting and unique element to the otherwise simple image. The fish eye effect makes the image seem almost 'trippy' and abstract for the viewer, as when the look at the orb, the building seems to be bulging out towards them, yet when they look at the background, it's simply a normal building. I like how although the ball distorts the subject, it still maintains the symmetry of the building within its distorted image. If there's one thing I would change, however, it would be the presence of my hand as I think it takes up a little too much of the image."


Benjamin Carrillo
"This photo is by far one of my favorites, I managed to get a great quality photo by slowing down the shutter while using the flash to get a clear image with motion blur. It is very interesting with the lights creating a unique squiggle and the blur coming from the movement of him. All these blurs and he is still crisp and clear."

Jay Sain
"The image is from the first day of the workshop and implements shadows from a point light. The lighting remains constant using the hard lighting to produce such shadows, however it is the approach to the image that adds complexity. I felt that the image was actually complex to begin with; the framing of the photo incorporated the rule of thirds which brought the shape of the figure and hard shadows to life. Despite this, I still believed that color was crucial and another level of variation would help better the photo as the color was uniform throughout. So I decided to add an RGB split (or rather red and cyan split) on a black and white layer in Photoshop. This not only introduced new colors but also added a sense of abstraction, which brought out the shadows of the image."




Studio portrait lighting workshop

Leonard Goh of Srishti Digilife and commercial photographer, Alex Ow, provided the digital photography students a three day studio portrait lighting workshop during the first semester. Leonard and Alex supported the students in providing technical support in studio lighting equipment and tips in working with subjects on a photoshoot.

Leonard Goh providing a demonstration using editing and studio lighting techniques in portrait photography.
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor 

Alex Ow explaining various studio lighting situations in a studio portrait shoot
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor 

Hands on practice in a studio portrait shoot

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

Here are a few excerpts from student blog posts from the conclusion of the workshops:

Shreyas Shukla
There's darkness hidden in everyone, but also light.
"I really liked how this picture turned out because I was experimenting with the lights not knowing it would produce good quality photos. I specifically liked this picture because of the light highlights one side and my friend Grey said: "It looks like I'm in a Nike ad". And adding the black and white filter made the picture have a deeper meaning. I didn't do much editing because I like the picture of how it was. However, I did increase the brightness so the left side would be more clear but that's it."

Nyah Tewani



"While there were a lot of challenges in this project, I also believe that there were a lot of successes. Moving onto the studio portraits, I would have to say that my biggest success was my friends allowing me to put glitter all over their faces (seriously). I think that I achieved the exact effect I wanted to the tee. The glitter added a whole new element to the portrait which I was extremely happy about. I also loved the way that I placed the light, that allowed me to capture the right side of their faces being dark and the more glittery side being illuminated. I am extremely proud of these photos. Within the editing process for these photos, the most major edit I really had to do was darken the background. The fabric created creases, which I was able to take out and that really helped with the overall effect of the photo."


Scott Woodward

Scott Woodward sharing his story
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor
During the first and second semester of the school year, renown photographer, Scott Woodward, visited the school. Scott shared his inspiring story in taking the leap and following his dream to become a full time photographer. 

Scott shared with the students what is packed for a photoshoot, how to protect and store images, proper handling and care for equipment, and tips in capturing the best picture from various shooting situations.


Scott Woodward sharing with students how he packs for a location shoot
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor 
During his visit with the advanced digital photography class, Scott shared additional stories and strategies from his experiences in the field as a photographer. Each student had the opportunity to seek personalized assistance to further their editing skills and concept development to their personal work from Scott.

Scott Woodward sharing with students concept development and editing considerations
Image courtesy of Zul Monsor

The Art department appreciates and would like to thank the PTA for supporting this program and these wonderful photographers for taking the time to share their knowledge and experience to our students!







No comments:

Post a Comment